The Hampstead Historical Society's Collection contains artifacts from the very beginning of the town (January 19, 1749) up to present day.
Here are just a few of the many items in our collection:
Below are additional examples of some of the thousands of items in the collection that you can see if you visit the museum. Click here for the Location and Hours of our museum.
This deed, which is on file at the registry in Exeter, certifies that Passaconaway for certain valuable considerations, sells to John Wheelwright and his associates a tract of land extending from the then (1629) Massachusetts line thirty miles into the country, and from the Piscataqua to the Merrimac, reserving the hunting and fishing rights to his people. The seventh and last article declares that "every township within the aforesaid limits or tract of land that hereafter shall be settled shall pay to Passaconaway our chief sagamore that now is and to his successors forever, if lawfully demanded, one coat of trucking cloth a year." The names or marks of several noted Sagamore were affixed to the deed as were the signatures of some of the respectable planters of Saco and Piscataqua.
For a long while this deed was considered a forgery, however there is some evidence that it isn't. Whether or not it is a forgery, it is still a very important historical document as many of our current town boundaries were set as a result of this deed.
The copy of this deed the Hampstead Historical Society has in its collection is marked as a copy.
In 1909, the Publisher of the Boston Post, Edward M. Grosier, forwarded what is known as the "Boston Post Cane" to 700 towns in New England to be awarded to the oldest citizen of the town. The canes had a 14-carot gold head and were made from ebony shipped from Africa. The original cane is on display in the Hampstead History Museum and a replica is now awarded to the oldest citizen by the Board of Selectmen.
Visit www.bostonpostcane.org for more information about the Boston Post Canes.